Sunday, June 15, 2008

Hanna's Daughters, or The Book That Was Almost There

I've finished reading Hanna's Daughters by Marianne Fredriksson. I have to say, I agree with CelloBella. I'm rather unimpressed. I kept waiting for the story to take hold, to deepen and engage me, but it fell disappointingly flat. The sparse storytelling spanning three lives of the characters did not put much meat on the bones of the saga. I expected more detail and emotional revelations; the book seemed to skim the surface of decades of life far from ordinary. Perhaps, as CelloBella has mentioned, this novel lost its warmth in translation, or perhaps it is just a dish served cold. --Elle

8 comments:

CelloBella said...

Yes it was odd - just when you thought it was going to get emotional - when John Broman died for example - or throughout Joanna's miscarriages - there was nothing!

Maybe Scandinavian women bottle their emotions and don't let them express themselves?

We don't even hear about the domestic violence in John and Hanna's relationship except in passing later in the book.

lusia said...

Hi Friend! I have read some of your post.it is really usefull for everybody.Very nice blog and Keep posting.I use to read your post.I also make some blogs.if you can, please give me a link to my site and let me know ,I will do the same.have a nice day.
www.softwareonlinehelper.blogspot.com
www.googleadsensesystem.blogspot.com

Ms. Confuse said...

sis melai..ur good naman pla sa grammar... hindi sya halata...ahahah.

keep on going lang..kaya natin yan. more power and tnx for visitng to my blog. hope to c u there again..

take care.

Disturbed Stranger said...

The Book sounds good.. I think I'll order it.
Lovely blog.

Nicely said...

thanks for the comment, melai. nice blog. i also love to read. way up high, girl!

Anonymous said...

this is not a comment really. i wanted to contact you. i have started a blog. like to invite you to se it, i am in advertising stream, i am an art director, my blog sit is ravibasu.blogspot.com
olz visit and leave comment. take care.

insikwa said...

halu,,,,tanx for dropping by in my page..ako mahilig dn mag read ng mga books kaso i cant explain it very well..in fareness ang galing u mag express ng story...keep it up friend...
melai dn pala nick name ko,depende dn how they know me...eheeejehhe

Marjorie's Letters said...

I haven't read the book but enjoyed reading your review.